Sunday 12 June 2011

Is a sling the thing for getting hands free?

This article is from Mom2Mom,
Q. I'm desperate to have my hands free while I take care of my three-month-old son, but I've heard slings can be dangerous. Is there a type of sling or wrap I can use so I can get a few things done during the day?
A. What a smart momma you are to seek a solution to your challenge of getting daily tasks done while still being able to tend to your baby.
Babywearing, as it’s called in the attachment-parenting world, can be an excellent solution. Infant slings and wraps have been used for thousands of years in cultures around the world. In addition to freeing up both hands, babywearing provides many benefits to the baby, including promoting a positive bond between child and parent. (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051100.asp#T051103) And, according to anthropologists who travel the world studying infant-care practices in other cultures, infants in babywearing cultures cry much less.
Having used a sling with both of my children, it’s one of the essential items I keep in my “postpartum doula kit” to use while working with clients. I like to be able to model to new parents how to get chores done – like laundry, for instance – while still meeting the needs of the baby via safe sling use.


You can read the full article here - http://www.trianglemom2mom.com/content/ask-is-a-sling-thing-getting-hands-free and for more information about slings please visit the Natural Nursery.

No comments:

Post a Comment